Diplôme Supérieur d’Arts Appliqués Lyon

École Supérieure d’Arts Appliqués La Martinière Diderot

Presentation

About La Martinière Diderot La Martinière, was created in Lyon in 1826, and is a city landmark. The spirit of demanding educational methods of the establishment goes back to its creation by Major Claude Martin, who was followed by Charles Tabareau and the Dupasquier brothers. Their aim was to provide free education for all. Both […]

About La Martinière Diderot

La Martinière, was created in Lyon in 1826, and is a city landmark. The spirit of demanding educational methods of the establishment goes back to its creation by Major Claude Martin, who was followed by Charles Tabareau and the Dupasquier brothers. Their aim was to provide free education for all. Both general and technological studies are taught in our school, which encourages entrepreneurial spririt. The school ethos is centered around facilitating successful integration into the world of work, as well as fostering international relations (with India, of course, among others). In 2006, la Martinière merged with lycée Diderot – another city landmark, which was Lyon’s Weaving School between 1934 and 1984 – and la Martinière Terreaux became la Martinière Diderot.

In just one public school, a full Design curriculum is offered, from STD2A classes (Year 11> Year 13 – with a major in Design) to DSAA (Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees – Graphic Design, Space Design, Textile and Fashion Design or Product Design). We also have 2 classes of Mise à Niveau en Arts Appliqués (Foundation Year), a DMA Costumier-réalisateur (Professional Arts Diploma – specialising in Costumes), 5 classes of BTS (Vocational Training Certificate – Design), and a CPGE (2 years of higher education – Design). Our school is part of a local, national and European educational network, through numerous partnerships and conventions.

L’École Supérieure d’Arts Appliqués (ESAA)

The ESAA la Martinière Diderot is a public higher education establishment, encouraging diversity, thus pursuing the objectives of public service. Notably, 30% of our students are eligible for income-related benefits.

The Diplôme Supérieur d’Arts Appliqués (DSAA D)

Le DSAA D (Diplôme Supérieur d’Arts Appliqués Design) in ESAA la Martinière Diderot is a state-funded training programme, specializing in Design, which offers a master’s level by the end of two years.

24 students – 12 students per year – are registered in each programme (Graphic Design, Space Design, Textile and Fashion Design and Product Design), and 12 of them graduate every year.

All in all, 96 students are registered in DSAA at ESAA la Martinière Diderot.

The DSAAD is a vocational course, which aims at actively and efficiently preparing young designers for their future jobs.

A recent survey of young graduates revealed a high rate (80%) of professional integration of students after the DSAA. The other 20% decided to continue their education in the second year of a Master’s Degree, and for some of them with further education.

The specificity of the DSAA in ESAA la Martinière Diderot is that it is placed at the crossroads of several fields, and is the ideal place for cross-disciplinarity. Thus, collaboration and teamwork between different design backgrounds is strongly encouraged, as well as a forward-looking stance.

Innovation – educational as well as professional – is at the core of our programme, which is why the DSAA is open on research activities.

A few recent examples of that characteristic are:

  • a training module in interface design, during which our L3 students had the opportunity to collaborate with M1 and M2 information architecture students from the ENS (Ecole Normale Supérieure).
  • Workshops with Schools of Engineering, such as the CESI.
  • Participation in Campus Création, a business set-up competition
  • tutored projects, in which students work in cross-disciplinary teams
  • Diploma projects, which can be led in pairs

The DSAA Design in ESAA also has numerous partnerships with higher education establishments, in the fields of humanities, economy, engineering or other higher education schools of design.

Residencies, mobility and collaborative work are thus made possible, whether during the training period – as studies or internships – or at its end. These exchanges are developed in and outside the country, in Europe and beyond, within the framework of Erasmus+ or Explora Sup.